Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Gospel is Inclusive, not Exclusive

As the year begun, I settled into my first book.  I began reading a biography about William & Catherine Booth, founders of the Salvation Army.  I found myself inspired and challenged by their journey.  My God is SO BIG, wow....who wouldn't want to know him more intimately.

As I read, my thoughts turned to 'The Gospel is inclusive, not exclusive'.  They were reaching out to many in society that somes churches and doctrine of those days did not embrace.  Many churches had a special area in the back or off to the side that was designated for the poor.  Sure they were allowed to come to church if they sat there, but they were not embraced.  A specific doctrine taught that there was a select group who were already chosen and that the sacrifice of Jesus only applied to them.

I pondered on these things, wondering how I do life today in 2011.  Am I living a life that presents an inclusive gospel or an exclusive one?  I have a heart for a particular group of people, but am I excluding others?  Things for me to ponder.  God may call me to minister in specific areas, or to specific people groups.  But does he want me to ignore the other people in my life that don't fit within that group.  NO he does not.  His heart, His sacrifice was and still is for ALL. 

As I cotinued to read, I discovered that even though the majority of the Booths work was amongst the poor, Catherine also ministered regularly amongst the wealthy of society.  Inclusive gospel, not exclusive.

I am challenged to see EVERYONE through the eyes of Jesus, I am challenged to live a life that presents an inclusive gospel.

His arms are always open, waiting for us to come home, are our arms open to embrace them as they come?

1 comment:

idelette said...

It's so challenging, but so true.